Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Holiday Season 2012 Guide!

With the release of Borderlands 2 today (9-18-2012) it seems that the holiday season of gaming has already begun! For those who may not have noticed, the "holidays" ... fuck it... the "time around Christmas" is when something like 75% of games are released, and something like 95% of the biggest franchises release their games around this time. It's the best couple of months to be a gamer! So I decided to write up a little guide with some of the best, worst, and biggest things coming out and when. I'll also use my infallible powers of deduction to tell you just how much money you're wasting!

9-18-2012

Borderlands 2
Available for: XBox 360, PS3, Windows

Two of the biggest genres out there are RPG's and shooters. And this game is both! The first game was a surprise hit and this one looks like it's gonna try real hard to fix all the short-comings it had. I mean, I loved the first game but there were some notable problems with it. Well, take all these factors in and the fact that you can get it on every worthwhile piece of equipment and you've got no reasons left not to give Gearbox your money! Do it!

9-25-2012

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria
Available for: Windows

The world's most powerful MMO continues its reign of terror with its latest expansion. A surprise for sure as I don't think there was any announcement that this would be coming out so soon. Considering the timing of the announcement (not too many days ago) and the minimal time until the release itself, I am forced to wonder what in the flying fuck is going on! If they had chosen that time to announce a post-Holiday release like January, I think that would have been fine. I may not be in marketing, but the thing is people's wallets are already giving out pre-orders to games that were announced months ago. And is the game even ready? I don't know, I feel like this is just Activision forcing Blizzard to push the thing out the door. I tend to think the same thing happened with Diablo 3. Either way, everyone will still be playing Borderlands 2 when this thing comes out so.... fuck it.

10-2-2012

Resident Evil 6
Available for: XBox 360, PS3, Windows

After the debacle of RE5 and Raccoon City, the franchise returns and is as clumsy as ever as it looks more like Call of Duty and less like Resident Evil. Apparently we've got regular zombies again, and Jill got another design change. The dialogue will continue to be only marginally more coherent than it was in the first game, and significantly less hilarious. Supposedly a lot people play this game series. I guess they must, right? Maybe this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Or maybe it'll just trigger a reboot.

10-9-2012

Dishonored
Available for: XBox 360, PS3, Windows

If you like Steampunk and stealth games that use first person perspective for some reason, this game has you covered. I haven't heard of developer Arkane Studios before, so I can't be sure how well the game will be made. I'm not one to be fooled by the Bethesda label on the front, they're just the publisher. To me the game sounds like a nifty indie game that you might see on Steam or XBLA, so it'll be interesting to see if this game succeeds or awkwardly flops about. I'll add it to my list of things to get during a "buy two get one free" sale at Gamestop.


Fable: The Journey
Available for: XBox 360 (Kinect required)

As I played through Fable 3 I realized, "Why am I still playing this franchise?" And Lionhead Studios has apparently decided to answer that question by making a game that's ten times more boring. You just... ride a carriage around? And then wave your hands around to wipe out helpless goofballs? This game literally sounds like a nightmare. The kind of dream where I feel trapped in a confusing, nonsensical loop where all I want to do is get out. People get paid to make these games, too. Sorta frustrating when you think about it.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Available for: XBox 360, PS3, Windows

Turn style combat?! In a Western RPG/Strategy game? And it's made by Firaxis, the people who made Alpha Centauri? Oh my ughughughgggughgughguhllllllllll! I can't even make words on the screen! How did this game sneak by the people holding the money? Is this game real? Now suddenly the world seems like a better place. For every piece of shit Fable Kinect game, there is this: a revisiting of a dead but still workable genre. I don't care what you people do, I am buying the hell out of this game. Go play your Call of Duties and leave me alone!

10-30-2012

Assassin's Creed 3
Available for: XBox 360, PS3, Windows, Wii U

Ubisoft bravely turns up the "unintentionally funny" knob to eleven in the latest addition to the series. They also finally decided to start numbering these damn things again. I wonder how it feels to be the teams working on the non-numbered games. Do they feel like they're not important? Anywho, this time the main character is an Injun who murders Redcoats and starts the American Revolution or something. Typing these things out makes me feel like I'm losing my mind. Lots of crazy going on with the developers this season, apparently. Here's hoping the next installment has you controlling a guy who's ethnicity is "clown" and trades his hidden blade for a hidden buzzer. Wakka wakka!

11-6-2012

Halo 4
Available for: XBox 360

The more screens I see for this game, the more I find myself thinking "that doesn't really look like Halo." While it is understandable that they'd want to give the series a way to feel fresh to players, I'm worried this might come across as just not feeling like Halo. I've grown more cautious in the past months, so maybe I'll sit out the release date and see what happens before trying it out.

11-13-2012

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Available for: XBox 360, PS3, Windows, Wii U

Statistically speaking, you most likely have pre-ordered three copies of this game already. But wait... I said wait! Just hear me out! Bah, whatever. You don't care. Just stop complaining about campers, ya noob. Watch the Goddamn kill cam and use flash bangs, for fuck's sake. The game gives you those for a reason, ya know.

11-18-2012

Wii U

Hey,  bless you people who keep giving Nintendo money. If not for you, they'd have to learn how to work with third party developers. Wait... that's a bad thing. Stop giving them money! Let them join the modern age, for crying out loud! I guess this is their attempt to do that. We'll see if it turns out to be enough, or far too little far too late. Spoilers: it's the latter.


 11-20-2012

Hitman: Absolution
Available for: XBox 360, PS3, Windows

Rounding out this season of odd decisions is another installment of Hitman.  I was laughing so hard I cried when I saw a friend playing the last game. This was because he had murdered a birthday clown and stole his costume and then snuck into the birthday as the surliest children's entertainer you've ever seen. IO Interactive apparently heard my laughs and decided "Sexy nuns!" Can I be paid to make video games now? Seems like they'll let anyone do it. Joking aside, this looks like a solid iteration of this stealth assassination franchise.

No comments:

Post a Comment